Monday, December 13, 2021

Blog Entry #7: Telling My Humanities Story

2021 Books in Review, 

 Hello! I haven't read that many books this year as the books that I have read are textbooks from classes that I took. Although there are only a few I felt like I learned a lot from reading the books that were provided. 

Hawley, Jack. The Bhagavad Gita: A Walkthrough for Westerners. New World Library, 2011. 

  • In this version of the Bhagavad Gita, Jack Hawley is able to do an amazing job at translating the infamous scripture the Gita which has been around for many generations into English. This book contains various spiritual knowledge and even divine revelation that has been around for centuries with its origin stemming from a story that would eventually turn into a movement. I would recommend this book to the people who are interested in not only religion but also the progression in ones' spiritual journey. Although it is a scripture with religious content, it can also provide a new perspective on how to live ones life that can be beneficial. 

Howard-Pitney, David. Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, and the Civil Rights Struggle of the 1950s
and 1960s: A Brief History with Documents
. Bedford/St. Martin's, 2004. 

  • In this series of brief documents it will go over the two of the most influential human rights activist who were prominent figures during the civil rights movement in 1954 through 1968. This book provides documents and speeches that shows the ideologies between Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcom X. Although both men were known to have different views, this book will go over how similar they actually were in the goal to achieving freedom for African Americans. Of course it would also go over the struggles and obstacles that African Americans had to deal with in America as racism was evidently present in the systems. I would recommend this book to everyone as it provides a better understanding of how African Americans were being treated in the systems of America. It provides you a new perspective on how America in which it notions the freedom for all is actually just a facade from the beginning.  


Theme Project,  

What I liked the most about the project was that I was able to go back to each unit to review all the information that I had learned. It was somehow a way to refresh all the knowledge that we had learned so far throughout the semester especially having to incorporate our theme to the arts, ideas, skills, and institutions of each unit. The project took around 16 hours for me to complete it. 


Telling My Humanities Story, 

In the beginning of this class, my expectations were to explore the region of Asia and its foundations. My goals were to get a better understanding of the cultures and beliefs of each country. Now that we're at the end of the semester I definitely feel like I've learned a lot about the humanities of ancient Asia specifically the religion or beliefs of the people which interested me the most about the class. I believe that people are essentially just a culmination of beliefs as they would live their life through the way of which they believe is right. I was able to learn how not only the role of religion but also how other themes contributed to the arts, ideas, institutions, and skills of a society which would expand my knowledge on the topic. Overall, I really enjoyed Humanities 320 and would definitely take it again! 

In this video, it provides an amazing depiction 
                                                              of what humanities is all about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Entry #7: Telling My Humanities Story

2021 Books in Review,   Hello! I haven't read that many books this year as the books that I have read are textbooks from classes that I ...